Monday, January 10, 2011

Music Monday 39 - Top Albums of 2010

The amount of new music I listen to has been taking a hit over the past few years. I still really love music and listen to it frequently, but because of my iPod, I rarely get introduced to new bands. I’ll listen to my XM every so often just to see what’s out there, but for the most part I listen to my iPod and sports talk. So when going over the new albums I got in 2010, there weren’t too many to compile a list of my favorites. But, from that limited selection, here are my top albums of 2010.

Kylie Minogue – Aphrodite

I’ve got a soft spot in my heart for Kylie Minogue. I love her pop/dance music and it generally puts me in a really good mood. I’ve probably listened to Aphrodite more than any other album in 2010. The songs “Aphrodite” and “All the Lovers” are great to listen to with the windows down on a warm summer night. Kylie also faced and defeated breast cancer a few years ago, and Aphrodite is something of a victory lap for beating the cancer.

Brooke Fraser – Flags

Brooke Fraser first came to my knowledge as part of Hillsong United, a gifted worship leader and a powerful song writer, penning the songs “Hosanna” and “You’ll Come.” Flags is the follow up to her 2008 release Albertine. I enjoyed Albertine, but Flags is a much stronger album. The lead single “Something in the Water” is a great song with a fun video but the duet with Aqualung, “Who Are We Fooling,” is my favorite song on the album. “Who Are We Fooling” is a sad and honest look at a relationship taking its last breaths.

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings – I Learned the Hard Way

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings are a throwback to the Motown era of the 60s. I purchased this album in 2010, but it sounds like it could have been purchased in 1965. I Learned the Hard Way has such a sublime throwback feel that I can’t help but close my eyes and just experience the music, not when I’m driving, though, that would be dangerous. Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings is a new group that I discovered for myself in 2010, thanks to seeing their album on sale at Starbucks.

Tyrone Wells – Metal & Wood

I love Tyrone Wells; I have every one of his albums. He released the EP Metal & Wood in March and it was less like an EP and more like a full album release. The EP has 10 tracks on it, a few of which are covers and older songs, but it’s still an awesome album. On Metal & Wood, Tyrone continues to address social issues with a hopeful spirit, knowing that things can get better if we all work together.

There are my top albums of 2010. Obviously, there’s a lot of music I missed. I would love for you to educate me. What were your top albums of 2010?

No comments:

Post a Comment