Monday, August 31, 2009

Music Monday 03 - Break-Up Music

Getting dumped sucks. I remember the first time I got dumped; things were not going well in the months that followed. After getting dumped it takes some time to heal, to get beyond the wounds and be all right again. I needed friends with whom I could hang out and I needed family members to offer me encouragement; in reality, I needed a lot. One of the most important things I needed, though, was an outlet for my emotions. Any time we’re facing any sort of emotional rush, whether that be sadness, anger, loss or heartache, we need an outlet for those emotions. Music can provide that outlet.

Music can have a powerful affect on our emotions. Music can dictate our emotions; it can influence how we feel. Conversely, our emotions can dictate the kind of music to which we listen. Music can provide the release we need when our emotions are welling up within us; music provides an outlet for joyful expressions as well as painful ones. Music is powerful but it shouldn’t replace actual interaction with people. When facing emotional turmoil we need to seek out other people, but music provides another way to express our emotions in addition to relationships. When I got dumped and I was angry, Linkin Park became that expression for me.

I’m kind of a sissy and I don’t like that much hard music. Linkin Park is probably one of the hardest bands I like, which isn’t saying very much; I don’t really need any Pantera, ICP or Slipknot. Even though Linkin Park isn’t that hard, the band provided a good emotional outlet for me. In the months following the break-up I was listen to Meteora all the time. I liked lyrics that said, “Sometimes I need you to stay away from me.” I also liked the line, “Let me take back my life, I’d rather be left alone.” And I especially enjoyed screaming, “All I want to do is be more like me and be less like you.” I was hurt from being dumped, I was angry at being dumped, and lyrics like that provided a healthy outlet for those emotions. Again, music shouldn’t be the only outlet but, for a little while, it was nice to drive along, shouting out those lyrics at the top of my lungs. It made me feel better.

That is one of the best aspects of music, its ability to provide a little release and make us feel better. Whether we’re a little angry or a little sad, music can make us feel better. Obviously we need more than music to address the issues in our lives, whether that is sadness over a loss or anger over a break-up. I eventually got out of my funk over the break-up by hanging out with friends and spending an afternoon with my grandparents; given the choice, I would choose human interaction over the solace of my iPod every time. But there isn’t any harm in using music to temporarily let off some steam or improve our mood; those are a two of music’s many functions. So if you need to let off some steam, roll down the windows, turn up the volume and sing it out; you’ll feel better and you’ll brighten the day of the person sitting next to you at the stop light.

When you’re angry, what music helps you let off some steam?

1 comment:

  1. I would suggest Michael W. Smith's "I'll Lead You Home"...

    great post, homie. my favrit "pissed off" music would have to be AC/DC or maybe Aerosmith. Staind has also never let me down.

    ReplyDelete