Monday, December 7, 2009

Music Monday 15 - Christmas Songs #1


My favorite part about Christmas is the Christmas music. I already wrote a post detailing why I only listen to Christmas music at Christmas time. Now that we are in the full swing of the holiday season, I am listening to Christmas music nonstop. Whether that’s on my iPod or tuning into one of XM’s holiday stations, I am filling my life with Christmas music. For the next three Music Mondays, I’ll be looking at some of my favorite Christmas music. This week I’ll look at my favorite non-religious Christmas songs.

Baby, It’s Cold Outside

I really like “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” because it’s a nice Christmas song about some dude trying to seduce a girl. For some reason, when I was younger, I thought that people didn’t start having sex before marriage until the 80s. Obviously that isn’t true and this song is a perfect example of pre-marital sex pre-MTV. The song was written in 1944 and think it’s hilarious, especially the version with Dean Martin as he drunkenly croons, trying to convince his date to stay a little longer.

Christmas Time is Here
Vince Guaraldi’s score for A Charlie Brown Christmas is one of my favorite Christmas albums ever. The song “Christmas Time is Here” stirs up so many nostalgic feelings of sitting at home with my family and watching the yearly broadcast of A Charlie Brown Christmas. I think about the whole gang dancing on the stage and Linus’ simple telling of the Christmas story. Every time I hear the song I’m transported to a simpler time when all I had to worry about was what kind of cookies to leave for Santa.

Last Christmas
A Wham Christmas song? Yes, please. Back before everyone knew George Michael was gay, he and that other guy were in Wham and they came out with “Last Christmas.” The song came out in 1984 and it’s the perfect blend of 80s synth-pop, heartache and holidays. Really, who doesn’t get excited to listen to “Last Christmas” every year and think about that girl or guy who dumped them during Christmas? I know when I got dumped 6 days before Christmas one year, Wham reminded me that, in order to be saved from tears, I needed to give my heart to someone special.

There are so many great Christmas songs that, if they weren’t associated with Christmas, would be terrible songs. But Christmas is a time of giving so we give a little grace and listen to songs that may not be the best.

What is your favorite non-religious Christmas song?

No comments:

Post a Comment