Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Topical Tuesday 17 - R.I.P., Finances

I never had a piggy bank growing up and, even if I had, the money wouldn’t have stayed in there long enough to make a difference. I’ve never been one to save my money very well which, at 7-years-old isn’t that big of a problem, but at 28-years-old and seven months from marriage, it becomes a much bigger issue. Knowing that I need to learn more about controlling my finances, I enrolled in Financial Peace University. FPU is Dave Ramsey’s 13-week course designed to help people save more and get out of debt.

I’m very excited for what could happen over the next 13 weeks as I learn financial principles that I have probably never even thought of. Last night was our first class and I already have my first assignment: to put $1,000 into a savings account as an emergency fund within one month. I’ve never really thought about that before, I’ve saved some money, but I’ve never given myself a goal and a timeframe to reach that goal. In all honestly, $1,000 isn’t that much money but, to hit that goal, I’m going to have to make some changes, something I am more than ready to do.

As the class began last night I sent out this tweet: “1st of 13 weeks of Financial Peace University. I should have started P90X at the same time.” Someone responded to that tweet and said I should replicate the practice of people starting P90X, by taking a before picture of my savings account and then an after picture. I’ve decided to do that and post it here; I think that will add some accountability and take away the stigma of people knowing how little I’ve saved.


If you’re interested in my progress through FPU, check back here as I’ll be writing about the experience and what I’m learning.

2 comments:

  1. i heart ING. But, I also love mint.com. Do you mint? It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mint but I'm checking it out as I type.

    ReplyDelete