Monday, February 1, 2010

Music Monday 18 - Album of the Year

The Grammy Awards were last night and Taylor Swift walked away with the biggest prize: Album of the Year. Looking at the nominees, one could argue that it was a down year for music. When Black Eyed Peas can be nominated for album of the year, it’s possible that the pool from which to select was a little watered down. I’ve nothing against Taylor Swift and I’m happy that Album of the Year was won by an artist who writes her own songs. Looking at my favorite albums from last year, though, my list is a bit different than that of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Grammy nominations were only open to albums released on or before August 31, 2009; here is my list of favorite albums from 2009 released up to that date.

U2 – No Line on the Horizon
I’m kind of shocked that U2 wasn’t nominated for that many awards. They are my favorite band and No Line on the Horizon was a good album. Not as good as Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, but still classic U2.

Muse – The Resistance

Muse is another of my favorite bands and they never get any love from the Grammys. Black Holes and Revelations was the best album of 2006 and didn’t get a single nomination. The Dixie Chicks won Album of the Year that year. The Dixie Chicks, dude.

Dave Matthews Band – Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King
I have seen Dave Matthews Band live more than any other band. And, while I don’t smoke weed like a good portion of their fans, I still dig their music and their crunchy groove. Big Whiskey was a great album and tribute to the band’s saxophone player, LeRoi Moore, who died from complications from an ATV accident. Of my favorites, this was the only album nominated for Album of the Year; obviously, I think it should have won. At least it got beat by Taylor Swift and not Black Eyed Peas; that would have been a tragedy.

Matt & Kim – Grand
I heard Matt & Kim on XM Radio, forgot about them, and then was reminded when I heard their songs on commercials for Bacardi and on previews for Community. It’s fun and frantic music, which I enjoy listening to with the windows down on a nice day.

Kelly Clarkson – All I Ever Wanted

My girl Kelly may not look as good as she once did, but she can still pump out some solid pop music. I should be more embarrassed to have a Kelly Clarkson album on this list, but then I remember how much I like Celine Dion.

Those are my favorite albums released last year, well at least of the albums released from January 1, 2009 – August 31, 2009. I’m not really into the indie music scene, so I’m sure I missed quite a number of great albums.

What was your favorite album from last year?

2 comments:

  1. John Mayers battllefield studies,the Phoenix album and oracular spectacular by MGMT were my faves. I disagree about the U2 album,really disappointning to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,

    Battle Studies came out in September so that will definitely make the list for next year. My friend Luke just told me about Phoenix. And I can see how NLOTH was a disappointment, but I've got a soft spot for Bono and the Edge's skull caps.

    ReplyDelete