Monday, October 4, 2010

Music Monday 30 - Old CDs

I just imported Linkin Park’s new CD into my iTunes. I held off purchasing the album on iTunes or Amazon knowing that I might receive it for my birthday. My patience paid off and I received the CD as a birthday present. Now, however, after importing the CD into iTunes, I’m left with a shiny, plastic disc that no longer serves a purpose. In fact I have whole boxes filled with old CDs, safely tucked away in their jewel cases, filling up our small garage. The compact disc is a casualty of the digital age and one of the enduring questions has to be: what do we do with all of these old CDs? Here are a few suggestions.

#1 – Keep Them

Maybe it will be worth keeping all of your old CDs. Vinyl has made quite the comeback in recent years; perhaps CDs will go through a similar renaissance in another two decades. Think how impressed the hipsters of 2030 will be when you show them the original album for Savage Garden’s self-titled debut (Who isn’t impressed by a chica cherry cola?). So just like vinyl has made a resurgence in spite of its inferior sound, lack of portability and high cost, maybe CDs will be all the rage with all the cool kids. Sure they take up a lot of space, but your collection of 90s CDs could you make you the coolest person ever.

#2 – Coaster Collection

Let’s face it: coasters are practical but lame. No one wants the condensation from their frosty beverage to ruin a table, but to place that beverage on a boring piece of wood or ceramic tile does not adequately communicate how cool you are. Imagine if your coasters not only protected your overpriced Pottery Barn end table but also told a story of your musical past. CD coasters say so much more about who you are and could even provide a talking point when you have guests. Be prepared to defend yourself, though, when someone sets their Coke down on your copy of Cracked Rear View by Hootie and the Blowfish or Middle of Nowhere by Hanson.

#3 – Vigilante Justice

My large CD collection is symbolic of my own selfishness. Instead of spending $10 at a time to cure the ills of the world, I spent $10 at a time so I could listen to Third Eye Blind and Marcy Playground. It’s time for something good to come out of those selfish buying habits. I literally have hundreds of CDs which could be used in a vigilante war against crime. I’m not a billionaire playboy like Bruce Wayne; I can’t afford a utility belt or batarangs. However, I already have a huge collection of CDs which could easily be fashioned into some sort of ninja throwing star. Imagine the fear that would strike the hearts of would-be criminals as a rain of CD shuriken came flying down from above. And imagine the embarrassment that would come from knowing their crime was thwarted by Jock Jams 5 or …Baby One More Time.

Those are a few suggestions for what to do with your old CDs. What do you do with your old CDs?

4 comments:

  1. #4 Classroom project

    I used to have my students design a CD cover and write the title of songs that either describe their life or cover the theme of a book we just read. Probably not the most practical for most readers, but teachers will love it : )

    -once a teacher, always a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a fun project; I wish my English teachers had been as cool as you, Michelle. It would also be phone, though not as creative, to pick ten actual song titles that describe your life at certain points. Then you could do a whole box set of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #5 Profit

    Once I finally backup all my music on two things at once...I plan to sell all my cd's together on ebay in a package deal. They are mostly all in the same genre, and most artists i have cd's for I have 2-3 albums from that artist, so it'll workout.

    I've been in the process of removing all posessions I do not need/use, video games I do not play play, dvd's I will never watch again, and cd's I do not use are all on that list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle,

    I've thought about selling my CDs. I just don't know if I could get enough to make it worth the hassle. Also, I feel like I'd be selling a part of myself.

    ReplyDelete