Monday, November 9, 2009

Music Monday 12 - What Do You Want to Sing Next Sunday?

It’s easy to talk about worship songs we don’t like. I’ve already spent some time talking about those worship songs we love to hate. It’s fun to complain about the songs we don’t like and mostly harmless. It’s also a much better way of releasing frustration than jumping the worship leader in the parking lot or leaving anonymous comment cards, which you make sure are hand-delivered to the pastor. In the end, though, it’s better to talk about the worship songs we do like.

It’s better for us.

It’s more edifying for our friends.

It’s more encouraging to worship leaders.

There is such a wide scope of worship songs, though, so we need to narrow down what worship songs we’re talking about. Someday we might get into everyone’s favorite Keith Green worship songs or our favorite worship songs that only get played because they were on Christian radio. For today, though, let’s come up with our current favorite worship songs; the newer ones we’ll get excited to sing next weekend in church. Here are a few of mine.

Open Up the Sky
“Open up the Sky” is a song written by Jonathan Stockstill. We have been singing this song with our high school group for a few months and it is one of my current favorites. I like how the song sounds, but I am especially moved by the words of the chorus.

Open up the sky
Fall down like rain
We don't want blessings we want You
Open up the sky
Fall down like fire
We don't want anything but You


The chorus is a good reminder that we shouldn’t seek a relationship with God only to receive his blessings. We should just want to be with God for the sake of being with God. I honestly can’t say that I am always solely satisfied with God, independent of his blessings, but the song at least gets me to think about that possibility and strive for it.

Your Love is Strong

“Your Love is Strong” was written by Jon Foreman from Switchfoot. The song is from Foreman’s Spring EP and, upon first listening, doesn’t seem like it would make a good worship song. However, it’s a simple song in that its lyrics are allusions to the teachings of Jesus from the Sermon on the Mount. The chorus is also simple; it is just the line “Your love is strong” repeated over and over again. In the context of worship, we’re singling that line to God, telling him that his love is strong. But, repeating that phrase over and over again, allows it to sink into our minds and hearts. It’s a simple truth that God’s love is strong, but it’s also a powerful truth. It’s a truth that, if embraced, can change the way we live our lives.

Hosanna
“Hosanna” is one of the ubiquitous Brooke Fraser songs being sung in churches today. Brooke Fraser is a member of Hillsong and Hillsong United and, even though I have a crush on Brooke, that’s not why I picked this song. It’s an amazing song of praise and worship that really beings me into God’s presence. I like the idea of singing the same song to Jesus that the people lining the streets on Palm Sunday sang to Jesus. Hosanna is a cry for salvation and we shout it out to the only one who can save us; we shout out hosanna to God and he will hear us. My favorite part of the song “Hosanna” is the bridge.

Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like You have loved me
Break my heart for what breaks Yours
Everything I am for Your Kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity


I like the bridge because it shows us that we can’t really cry out to the God who saves without opening our eyes and acknowledging those around us who need saving. God is the one who saves but, as his followers, he wants to use us to bring the hope and promise of salvation to those in need.


I can’t count the number of worship songs I’ve sung over the course of my life. I probably can’t even count the number of worship songs that I’ve got memorized. Worshipping God through music is one of God’s greatest gifts and blessings to his followers. It allows us to take something so moving and emotional, and direct it toward our heavenly father. Honestly, there are some songs we enjoy singing to our heavenly father more than others. It’s not wrong to like some songs more than others, but it is healthier for us as worshippers and as participants in worship services to focus on the songs we like than on the songs we dislike.

So, currently, what is your favorite worship song?

3 comments:

  1. My hope is built on nothing less
    Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
    I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
    But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.


    On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
    All other ground is sinking sand;
    All other ground is sinking sand.



    SO good..!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "God Almighty, None Compares" by DC*B is excellent. The chorus especially resounds with me:

    None compares to you
    None compares to you
    There is none like you
    Holy, holy, God Almighty.

    The first couple times I heard it it brought me close to tears. Just the idea that there is absolutely nothing else in the universe that can come close to God astounds me. It reminds me of the Ephesians and Colossians passages that speak of nothing being greater or higher or more powerful than Christ. It's an insane idea. And a hard one to live by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ron: Colossians has a killer Christology.

    ReplyDelete