Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Topical Tuesday 13 - Leonid Meteor Shower

The Leonid Meteor Shower occurred on Monday night and, depending on where one looked up, there could have been hundreds of meteors flashing across the night sky. According to scientists, the best seat on planet earth to view the shower would have been in Asia. I was encouraged, though, when I heard that the meteors would be viewable from North America as well. So on Monday night, technically early Tuesday morning, my roommate and I bundled up in our Snuggies, went outside and stared up at the heavens.

Living in the suburbs we didn’t actually see any of the meteors. There was way too much city glow to see the few meteors that would have been visible from North America. It was rather relaxing, though, lying on the hood of my truck staring up at the sky. Even though we couldn’t see any meteors, it was a clear night and we could see a number of stars.

Staring at the stars has always been my favorite way of experiencing creation. A lot of people enjoy a walk through a meadow, sitting on the beach as the waves crash upon the shore or going for a hike through the mountains. I enjoy those things, but I best experience creation and God’s greatness through creation while staring at the stars. The magnitude and the bigness of everything related to stars and planets boggles my mind and helps me to reflect on the magnitude and greatness of God.

What aspect of creation helps you to worship God?

No comments:

Post a Comment