Monday, March 8, 2010

Music Monday 19 - Wedding DJs

One summer I went to seven different weddings. That many weddings in such a short amount of time really afforded me the opportunity to form some strong opinions about what I wanted and didn’t want at my own wedding. Some of the things I learned I wanted were a short ceremony and a location that wouldn’t be too hot. I also learned that I didn’t want to have Communion during the ceremony and I didn’t want to make my guests wait three hours while my wife and I took pictures. During that summer I also learned a lot about wedding DJs.

Wedding DJs have two responsibilities: play music and keep the party moving. That’s it. If a wedding DJ begins to tell a story, draw attention to himself or practice his fledgling stand-up routine, he has failed in his purpose. Luckily, Alycia and I seem to have found a DJ who clearly understands and embraces his role. He was the DJ for both of Alycia’s sisters’ weddings and we met with him this past weekend. I was very excited when he himself said that his role is to play music and let people know when they can get cake and when they can dance.

Obviously that dancing involves music, which is where we need a little help. We were given a piece of paper and told to pick 20-30 songs that we would like to have people dance to at our wedding. If it was up to me I would just play Thriller back-to-back three times, which is why I’m asking for suggestions. If you have some good songs for people to dance to, I want to hear them. If you think of one or two or ten songs, share them below.

3 comments:

  1. JULIAN MIRANDA!!!! alltheraveent@yahoo.com or his website is www.alltheraveent.com. My husband and I had him for our wedding and he was BEYOND amazing....let him know that Scot and Julie Hamm recommended him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonight's Gonna Be A Good Night by The Black Eyed Peas.

    Just put it on repeat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything by Journy, maybe their song Faithfully.

    Maybe "Dragostea Din Tei" also known as the Numa Numa song by Ozone.

    I like the Thriller idea. I want that played my wedding so a bunch of people in suits and high heels can dance to it.

    ReplyDelete