Friday, September 11, 2009

Freeform Friday 04 - Football and Friends

Last night the 2009 NFL season kicked off. Finally. I was really excited for the game and for the season to begin. I think I am especially excited this year because the Chicago Cubs’ season unraveled about three weeks ago and I’ve been looking for something to fill the sports void in my life. I don’t really care about either team that played last night, the Pittsburgh Steelers or the Tennessee Titans, but the teams didn’t matter; it was football. I had people over to my house to grill and watch the game, which is what I like most about football. Football is a reason to gather and spend time with friends.

I have been a guy for the entirety of my life, unless my parents are keeping major secrets about my infancy from me. In my experience as a guy, I have bonded with my closest guy friends by doing things together.

Vegas trips.

Going to baseball games.

Watching football on TV.

I cannot tell you how many hours my friends and I have sat watching football together. I can tell you that it’s easily more time than I’ve spent watching The View, Grey’s Anatomy, Dancing with the Stars and any Matthew McConaughey movie combined. But watching football with my friends isn’t just about watching sports, eating food and embracing our XY chromosomes; it’s about building relationships and finding life-long friends.

Those friendships weren’t built over a single game or even a single season; years have been invested into those relationships. For my closest friends and me, sports provided a strong relational foundation upon which we were able to build. Obviously there is more to our friendships than just hanging out and watching sports but sports have provided the environment for those relationships to grow and mature. So many of my friendships began by watching sports but I know that’s not the case for everyone. Finding the right people for authentic relationships is important but it’s also important to find the way that you best connect with those people.

Cup of coffee.

Book club.

Mountain biking.

Ministry.

Scrapbooking.

It doesn’t matter what you do as long as you create an environment where authentic relationships can grow and mature.

Hank Williams, Jr. once sang, “Are you ready for some football?” After my almost feral response to the NFL kickoff last night, my answer is a resounding “Yes.” I wasn’t just excited just because I like football or because I’m stoked to talk trash in my fantasy league or because Jay Cutler is going to lead the Bears to the Super Bowl; I was excited because I know what football has meant to my friendships over the years. And now every Sunday, every Monday and some Thursdays and Saturdays, I’ll have an excuse to hang out with my friends and continue building those relationships. Not that we need an excuse but, if we did, football is as good as any.

What do you do with friends in order to build those relationships?

1 comment:

  1. Well said Scott. I am as enthusiastic about building close friend relationships as you are. I believe that close relationships lead to happiness on earth.

    My girls and I like to shop. I have built many deep relationships while soaring the aisle's of Target and TJ Maxx. =)

    -kindra

    ReplyDelete