Friday, October 9, 2009

Freeform Friday 07 - Twitter Envy

I enjoy Twitter. I’ve been on Twitter for over 6 months and I enjoy what it’s added to my life. For me, Twitter isn’t so much about informing the virtual world that I’m standing in line at Starbucks but I find value in getting different information and insight from those I follow. I also find value in staying connected with friends and catching up on what they’re doing and what they’re thinking about. Twitter has tremendous value for disseminating information and that information should educate, entertain or inspire. Sometimes, however, the information that comes through the Twitterverse is inspiring in the wrong way. Sometimes the tweets of those I follow inspire envy deep within my heart and soul.

Twitter makes me envious when a number of those I follow are at the same place that I want to be. This week, for example, a number of those I follow are at the Catalyst Conference in Atlanta. Catalyst’s a leadership conference for young leaders and I had the opportunity to go the past two years. I wasn’t able to go this year and, instead of Catalyst just falling off my radar, Twitter is constantly reminding me that I’m missing out.

I’m not experiencing the worship.

I’m not listening to the speakers.

I’m not twittering every nugget of wisdom that comes from the main stage.

Basically Twitter has become a giant reminder that they are there and I am not. Truly, envy is the cousin of Iago’s green-eyed monster.

I know I should be a better person and not succumb to my Twitter envy but I can’t help it, or I don’t want to help it. Sure, it’s nice for my friends to experience the Catalyst Conference; it is something that I have gotten to experience twice before. But just because it’s nice for them, doesn’t make me want to be there any less. Perhaps that’s another use of Twitter, to live vicariously through those I follow, to experience what they’re experiencing when I don’t have the opportunity. And when my friends are experiencing something I would like to do, I can hold onto a little envy and wish them well. But when my friends are experiencing something I wouldn’t like to do, I can be thankful that it’s them instead of me.

Twitter envy is a brand new experience in my life and I’m just starting to learn how to deal with it. People will always be twittering about what they’re doing and I have to take those tweets in stride. When someone is twittering about being at a concert that I want to attend or a conference I wish I was at, I should be thankful that they can share images and thoughts to which I otherwise wouldn’t have access. But when someone is twittering about falling asleep in class or sitting in traffic, I can be thankful that I’m done with school and have a 3-minute commute to work. Envy is an ugly thing especially when it is inspired by 140 characters or less.

What causes you to envy others?

No comments:

Post a Comment