Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Topical Tuesday 23 - Boise State vs. Virginia Tech


Virginia Tech and Boise State opened their season playing against each other last night. From everything I saw on Twitter, it was an amazing game, full of tension and excitement. Boise State ended up winning the game but that is about as much as I know because we don’t have cable.

We don’t have cable.

We don’t have satellite.

We don’t have FIOS.

As Alycia and I start our lives together, we’ve had to make some cuts in order to live within our budget. One of the first items excised from our budget was cable television. We have a very large, very nice television upon which to watch programming, but no programming for it. To be honest, I never really watched that much TV to begin with; so not having cable hasn’t made a huge difference in my life, except in the case of live sports.

It’s true I could have huddled in front of my computer and watched the game on ESPN 3 or gone to a friend’s house. However, that’s just not the same as sitting on your own couch, watching the game on your own TV, in your own home. Since I’ve gotten married, though, home has taken on a completely new meaning.

Home is making decisions together.

Home is thinking about the other person first.

Home is giving up cable because that’s what we need to do right now.

Am I bummed I missed the Virginia Tech and Boise State game? Yes. Am I bummed that home now means more to me than a place where I sleep and watch sports? Absolutely not. I know it sounds romantic and sappy, but I would gladly trade every instant classic from here on out for the home that I’ve found. That being said, I wouldn’t mind if I could sit in my new home next year and watch the BCS Bowl Games, Super Bowl, March Madness, Opening Day and NBA Finals.

No comments:

Post a Comment