Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Topical Tuesday 26 - My 30th Year

Aaron Rodgers is the starting quarterback for the Green Bay Packers. He is one of the elite quarterbacks in the National Football League. His team has been pegged as a favorite to make it to the Super Bowl. He is 26-years-old.

As I begin my 30th year of life, when I hear about or see people younger than me who are far more successful, I often wonder what I’ve done with my life. Sure, I’ve graduated from college, earned a master’s degree, attained gainful employment and married the love of my life, but still – Aaron Rodgers is a quarterback and when Blake Mycoskie started Toms Shoes he was 30. Very often I lose sight of everything I have attained because I’m too busy looking at what everyone else has and has done.

When my vision gets out of focus like that, though, I need to remember that God didn’t put me on this planet to live Aaron Rodgers’ life or Blake Mycoskie’s. Sure, it would be sweet to be an NFL quarterback and it would be even sweeter to head an organization making a difference in the world, but that isn’t my task. Ephesians 2:10 says that God created me for works that he had planned long before Aaron Rodgers got drafted or Toms shoes became hip.

God has something in store for me.

God has a task designed especially for me.

God has gifted me to do something specifically for his kingdom.

God has done all the work, I just need to be faithful and go along with his plan for my life instead of gawking and envying the plans of others. I can’t remember where I heard it, but it was sage advice:

God didn’t create me to be the next Blake Mycoskie or the next Francis Chan; God created me to be the first Scott Higa.

I need to be faithful to that calling, trusting that God will lead me wherever he sees fit as long as I’m willing to go.

Complete this statement: “I want to be the next _____________.” Instead of focusing on being that person, how can you become the you God created you to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment