Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Leadership Wednesday 30 - Leadership Crucible

Two weeks ago we took our high school group to a church in Hollywood to help out with a toy drive. There were 20 students on the trip who volunteered their time and sacrificed part of their Christmas vacation to work around the church and do whatever was needed. I always enjoy going on trips with our youth group because they end up being a crucible for leadership.

Most of my leadership development has taken place within the context of ministry. When I was in high school I was a student leader, I volunteered as a leader in different ministries throughout college and now I’m blessed to lead our high school ministry. I’ve learned so much about leadership in ministry over the years and youth group trips really provide an opportunity to put what I’ve learned into practice.

Delegation.

Conflict resolution.

Setting an example.

Motivating others.

These are just some of the skills I had to practice and the trip was only two days. Every trip I go on with our youth group is a real-life leadership training course that I can use to hone my skills.

What’s exciting is that I can look back to the first time I was a counselor on a youth group trip and see how much I’ve grown. I can look back to when I was 16-years-old and knew absolutely nothing about leadership; I can identify all of the mistakes that I made back then and how I’ve grown from them. I’m also really excited to continue going on youth group trips to keep growing my leadership; in another 10 years I’ll be able to look back on how much I’ve grown and how much I learned from the mistakes that I’m making today.

How do you continue to hone and sharpen your leadership skills?

No comments:

Post a Comment