Monday, November 8, 2010

Music Monday 32 - SMS (Shine)

It’s easy to populate a list of my favorite music videos.

Thriller. Sabotage. Take on Me. Virtual Insanity. Like a Prayer.

I think I’m going to have to make room on that list for David Crowder Band’s video for SMS (Shine).



The video is impressive for a number of different reasons. The video was created without the use of digital effects and took 2,150 man hours to complete. And while the production is impressive, I am more struck by the beauty and emotion of the video.

I can’t think of any music video which has elicited as much of an emotional response as the video for SMS (Shine) has. Sure Thriller is an amazing music video and Sabotage is hilarious, but there was never a deep, moving, emotional connection with those videos. SMS (Shine) makes me feel something. It helps me to see not only the beauty in life but also the beauty in loss. Life inevitably leads to loss, but when we lose something, the loss provides the opportunity for new life once again.

I know I’ve had these thoughts before, but to have them spurred in such beautiful and visually stimulating way almost makes them new again.

What music videos have connected with you over the years?

No comments:

Post a Comment