Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Topical Tuesday 32 - My Grown Up Christmas List

When I was younger it was really easy for me to make my Christmas list. I would sit down with the JC Penny catalogue, go through it and write down all of the G.I. Joes that I wanted. That was it. The hardest part of making that list was deciding how to prioritize all of the G.I. Joes: did I want Snake Eyes more than Shipwreck?

Making a Christmas list is a little more difficult now that I’m older. It’s not difficult because I’m asking that no more lives would be torn apart or that wars would never start, it’s difficult because I have more expensive tastes and a budget to work within. When I was 9 G.I. Joes cost $4.00 so I was pretty sure I could get at least 5 or 6 for Christmas and feel really good about my presents. Now all the sweaters, watches, shoes and sunglasses I want cost more than $4.00, much more than $4.00. And on top of wanting more expensive gifts, I’ve also gotten to the point of adding items to my list that I need. That’s probably the most depressing part about being older at Christmas: toys and video games get exchanged for underwear and linens.

So here is my grown up Christmas list:

• Ray Ban Wayfarers
• A repair job for my broken PS3 (i.e. glorified Blu-Ray player)
• A new black watch, ideally a Movado but something from Diesel would do
• A bookcase
• Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve Irish Whiskey
• Steve Madden shoes
• Space Catan
• Sweaters from Express or Banana Republic
• Anything Star Wars Adidas

I’m not really planning on getting any of those items and I’m all right with that. I knew I wouldn’t get all of the G.I. Joes I asked for but it was fun to dream. In the end, in spite of my older, more expensive tastes, I’d be satisfied with a Target gift card and world peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment