Thursday, November 25, 2010

Theology Thursday 24 - A Theology of Thanksgiving

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. - James 1:17

Every good and perfect gift comes from God.

Thanksgiving is a day to reflect on the many things for which we’re thankful. Thankfulness is incomplete, though, if we don’t show gratitude to the ultimate source of everything good in our lives. We can appreciate the good things in our lives and enjoy them and revel in them, but that appreciation, enjoyment and revelry should always lead back to their source: the Father of heavenly lights.

I’m thankful for my wife, but God is the one who orchestrated our meeting and marriage.

I’m thankful for my family, but God is the one who placed me there at the beginning of my life.

I’m thankful for my friends, but God is the one who gives them enough grace and patience to put up with me.

I’m thankful for my job, but God is the one who called me from one place to another at the right time.

I’m thankful for the roof over my head, but God is the one who provides for all my needs.

So in the end, anything for which we’re thankful ultimately leads back to God. He is the source and we should humbly offer our gratitude to him. If we take time to think about what we have, we’ll most likely see that we’re blessed beyond measure. The blessings we receive have nothing to do with us or our intrinsic goodness; they are rooted in God’s grace and his intrinsic goodness.

Every good gift comes from God so all of our thanksgiving should be offered to him.

What are you most thankful for this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment