Thursday, November 18, 2010

Theology Thursday 23 - 10%/90%

In Acts 4 we see the early church surrendering what they own to God, selling what they have in order to give to the church and meet the needs of others. As I was reading through this chapter I began to think of my own generosity to God and whether or not my possessions are surrendered to him.

By the grace of God I have been faithfully tithing for almost two years. It’s a good feeling to read through a passage like Acts 4 and realize that I have been faithful to God in my finances; he asks for 10% and he gets 10%. When it comes to tithing, I’ve always viewed that first 10% as God’s and then the other 90% as mine. Recently, though, I began to see that none of it is mine; the 10% or the 90%.

If I want to be faithful to God with my possessions and finances I can’t give him 10% and spend the other 90% on hookers. I can’t write my tithe check and then cash out everything else and hit the bar for one wild night. Everything I have belongs to God and I need to make sure that I’m spending and budgeting in a way that honors him, with the 10% and the 90%.

The 10% is easy; that automatically goes to God. It’s more challenging to look at the remaining 90% and see how God could be glorified through what remains of his provision. It may be more challenging, but it’s also has the potential to be 9 times more rewarding.

How do you strive to honor God with the remaining 90%?

No comments:

Post a Comment