Monday, November 22, 2010

Music Monday 34 - The Beatles


I slept in last Tuesday and missed the hype leading to Apple’s announcement that The Beatles’ music was finally going to be available on iTunes. From what I saw on Twitter after the announcement, the announcement didn’t live up to the hype.

I have a confession to make: I don’t think The Beatles themselves live up to the hype.

I recognize that The Beatles are one of the most influential bands ever and that music today would be much different if they had never existed. That being said, I’ve just never really found the time to get into their music. I wasn’t introduced to them at an early age and, by the time I could make my own musical choices, I had already decided to make U2 the center of my musical universe.

So I find myself in a weird place of recognizing the greatness of The Beatles without actually acting upon that knowledge. I’ve got some of their songs in my iTunes but I rarely go out of my way to listen to their music. So I end up just nodding my head when people talk about how good The Beatles are without having any idea what they’re talking about.

What position do The Beatles hold in your musical universe?

1 comment:

  1. I sure hope the Guerrero family doesn't read this one. Great post though.

    And I wonder if that's how some people feel about the Gospel and Jesus? They just never found the time to get into it, and decided to make something else the center...(Jesus Juke)

    ReplyDelete