Friday, April 16, 2010

Freeform Friday 13 - Diary of a Fat Kid, Part 01


Transparency breeds accountability. At least I hope it does.

I’ve lost some weight recently and, until now, haven’t really discussed it that much. There may be two people in my life who know where I began and where I ultimately want to end. Losing weight is somewhat embarrassing because it obviously means there was weight to lose in the first place. And, up until now, I was a little uncomfortable sharing how much weight I have to lose. It’s my hope, though, that my openness and transparency about my weight loss will inspire me to maintain my focus and hit my goal.

I began counting my calories with the LiveStrong application on my iPhone in the middle of December. When I began counting calories I weighed 205.5 pounds with a BMI of 32.2, which placed me in the obese category. Because I counted calories over the holidays, I was able to maintain that weight and on January 2, 2010, I again weighed 205.5 pounds. In the 15 weeks since then, I have lost 27 pounds and now weigh 178.5 pounds with a BMI of 28; according to my BMI, I am now only overweight.

My ultimate goal is to lose 50 pounds and weigh around 155 pounds. In future posts, either on Topical Tuesdays or Freeform Fridays, I’ll share my plan, my motives and some of my experiences. For now, though, I just wanted to be a little more transparent and lose the stigma and embarrassment of having 50 pounds to lose. And now I’ve added the people who read my blog to the ranks of those who can hold me accountable; it’s probably only four people, but it’s four more than I had before.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Scott, that's fantastic. Keep it up!

    I believe in you.

    ReplyDelete