Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Topical Tuesday 21 - Famous to the Famous One

I went to Catalyst last week, a leadership conference for next generation leaders. There were a few highlights from the conference that will likely show up in future posts, but today I want to focus on something I heard during one of the lab sessions.

I went to a lab titled “Off the Blogs – Into the World,” which focused on allowing what happens within virtual conversations to positively impact the actual world. The speakers at the lab were Anne Jackson, Carlos Whitaker and Jon Acuff. Jon Acuff writes the blog Stuff Christians Like and is someone who I admire; I like his writing and how he created a platform for himself. Acuff shared a little of his story and how the rise in popularity of his blog pushed him one night to ask God for fame. Acuff felt that God responded by telling him that he was already famous; the God of the universe knows Acuff’s name so what other notoriety does he need?

I know that this blog isn’t going to make me famous; it’s really more about the exercise and personal practice. That doesn’t mean, though, that I don’t want to be famous; I would love for people to know my name and desire to hear my thoughts and ideas. But God already knows my name.

God has known me since before I was born.

God has known me since before I wrote my first blog.

God has known me since before I posted my first podcast.

God already knows me and that should be enough. God already knows me and loves me; he’s passionate about me and is waiting for me to turn my thoughts and focus to him. Why should I care if thousands want to listen to me talk if the creator of the universe is just waiting for me to talk to him?

I don’t need to chase after fame; I need to chase after the Famous One.

How do you respond knowing that God thinks you’re famous?

No comments:

Post a Comment