Thursday, April 8, 2010

Theology Thursday 15 - Easter Afterglow

I’m still feeling the effects of Easter. I wish I meant that in a super spiritual way, but at this point it’s an issue of practical life. I still feel like I’m trying to recover from this past weekend, which was very busy, and a lot of conversations at the church have revolved around Easter and all our services. At this point I feel like our church’s celebration of Easter is having a longer lasting impact than the reason for which we celebrated.

I remember saying in my sunrise sermon how much I love Easter and how much I love Jesus. Preaching on Easter Sunday those feelings are natural, that’s how I should have felt. Yet, in the days since Easter, I don’t know if those feelings have welled up within me. I want to be excited and passionate about the resurrection and its universe-altering impact every day, not just Easter Sunday. Just because we’re not having four services in two different venues doesn’t mean the resurrection doesn’t hold just as much value for me today.

Easter Sunday is significant in the life of a church, but its significance shouldn’t overshadow the resurrection or Jesus’ love the rest of the year.

I need the resurrection today as much as I did Sunday.

I need to know that Jesus loves me today as much as I did Sunday.

I need to be as willing to live my life for Jesus today as I was on Sunday.

Easter is wonderful; it’s a perfect day to celebrate the resurrection of our loving Lord. But so is every other day.

How can you celebrate the resurrection today?

No comments:

Post a Comment