Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Leadership Wednesday 16 - Leadership Lessons from @robackercbc

I’ve been working at my church for almost three years now and I still thoroughly enjoy it. I consider myself rather blessed because I know that isn’t always the case. A lot of pastors I know feel trapped or underappreciated in their jobs and can’t seem to find any way out; I have never felt anything remotely similar to that. I wake up every day thankful for the job I have, and a lot of that has to do with our senior pastor, Rob.

Technically, I guess Rob is my boss, since he’s the one who ultimately made the decision to hire me and is the one who could ultimately make the decision to fire me. But, beyond him being my boss, I consider Rob to be my pastor and someone from whom I can learn a lot about leadership.

This week, after Easter and all the preparation put into our services, Rob made the decision to close the church office the following Monday. It wasn’t a vacation day and we didn’t have to take time off, the office was just closed. It’s not a huge deal to close the office, it’s not like the church was going to miss out on any big bids or massive sales, but it does show a lot of concern and care for staff.

Properly caring for subordinates is definitely a lesson I want to learn. At this point I don’t have that many subordinates, but those I do oversee and the volunteers I work with absolutely deserve my care and concern. I’m not really a warm, fuzzy guy, but Rob has shown me what it means to care for and pastor those God has placed in our care.

Hopefully this isn’t seen as some sort of virtual suck-up because that’s not my intention; I just enjoy when I don’t have to open a book or go to a conference to learn a leadership lesson. Rob is one of the many people I can learn lessons from; I just pray that my heart stays malleable enough to continue learning.

From whom in your everyday life do you learn leadership lessons, positive or negative?

No comments:

Post a Comment