Monday, April 19, 2010

Music Monday 22 - Christian Covers

There is a lot of really good Christian music. I’m more than happy to listen to David Crowder Band, Hillsong United or Family Force Five. Those bands create original music with a very distinctive sound, to which I enjoy listening. Some Christian bands, however, aren’t as creative and simply release Christian covers of secular music.

I’ve heard terrible covers of Peter Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes,” Collective Soul’s “Shine,” and U2’s “Beautiful Day.” I understand that covers are part of the music industry, plenty of bands or artists will cover a song and release it on an EP or as part of a live album. I just don’t understand why Christian radio stations will play covers of songs they wouldn’t normally play. If U2’s version of “Beautiful Day” isn’t Christian enough, then why is a subpar cover?

While I may not be a huge fan of Christian covers, that doesn’t keep me from recognizing secular songs that are ripe for a working over by the Christian music industry. One such song is Orianthi’s “According to you.” Here are the lyrics to the first verse and chorus.

According to you
I’m stupid, I’m useless,
I can’t do anything right.

According to you
I’m difficult, hard to please,
Forever changing my mind.

I’m a mess in a dress,
Can’t show up on time,
Even if it would save my life.
According to you. According to you.

But according to him
I’m beautiful, incredible,
He can’t get me out of his head.
According to him
I’m funny, irresistible,
Everything he ever wanted.


If there was ever a song that was crying out to be covered for Christian radio, it is this song. It carries a good Christian message that, regardless of what others think about us, we have value to God. It may be a bit of a stretch to think that God thinks I’m funny or that I’m everything he ever wanted, but it’s probably still positive enough to sneak onto Christian radio.

What other secular songs need to be covered by Christian bands?

No comments:

Post a Comment