Monday, April 12, 2010

Music Monday 21 - Disney Music

Some friends and I were driving home from Lake Havasu yesterday. The soundtrack for our trip included various artists and bands from various genres. About four hours into our trip, though, we made the switch to Disney music. Everyone in the car was over 20-years-old, yet we still remembered all the words to classics such as “A Whole New World,” “Beauty and the Beast,” and “Kiss the Girl.” Classic Disney songs like those are wrapped in so much nostalgia that it’s easy to sing them and feel like a kid again. Listed below are a few of my favorites.

“Gaston” – Beauty and the Beast
When I first saw Beauty and the Beast I probably didn’t like Gaston very much. He was wicked, he was evil and he wanted to kill the Beast. As I’ve gotten older, though, I’ve realized I like Gaston more and more with each passing year. He really is a man’s man and I’m thinking about following in his footsteps by eating five dozen eggs every morning to help me get large.

“The Circle of Life” – The Lion King
The first cassette tape I ever bought was the soundtrack to The Lion King. I remember cleaning my room and singing songs like “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” and “Hakuna Matata” at the top of my lungs. I always liked “The Circle of Life” when I was growing up, but my interest in the song is growing as my wedding draws nearer. Eventually I am going to have kids and, when my first born is dedicated, I want to play “The Circle of Life” and thrust my child in the air like Simba.

“I’ll Make a Man Out of You” – Mulan
I don’t really have strong feelings for Donny Osmond either way, but I feel inspired when he tells me that I should be as swift as the coursing river. Honestly, I’m not much of a man; I don’t know much about cars or tools and I like Celine Dion way too much. But when I listen to “I’ll Make a Man Out of You,” I have hope that I can have all the strength of the raging fire and be as mysterious as the dark side of the moon.

What are some of your favorite Disney songs?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Scott, nice entry. It's a joy to have you on the team

    Rob

    ReplyDelete