Monday, April 5, 2010

Music Monday 20 - Entrance Songs

When attending a live baseball game I am always fascinated by the songs the players choose when they come up to bat. At any given game one might here a mixture of rap, rock, country and Latin music. My personal favorite was the song selected by Julio Franco. Franco played for a number of teams and chose Crystal Lewis’ song “People Get Ready…Jesus is Comin’” for when he came up to bat. I always enjoyed hearing a soft, Christian ballad amidst the songs chosen by the other players.

I don’t know if “People Get Ready” got Franco fired up to take his at-bats or if he simply liked the message but it always made me think about what song I would choose. I don’t know if I would choose a song that had a message like “People Get Ready,” a song to fire me up like “Faint” by Linkin Park or just a joke to make people laugh like “Like a Virgin.” I would probably end up picking “Where the Streets Have No Name” by U2 because it’s my favorite song and it does a good job of getting me fired up. I would try to work it out in my contract, though, that I would get to choose a new song every home stand. U2 may be good in April, but maybe by August I’d want to listen to Celine Dion or Justin Bieber. Just kidding, who would want to listen to Justin Bieber?

If you were a Major League Baseball player, what song would you choose to play before you came up to bat?

4 comments:

  1. Creep's a good call, though the stadium would have to play the edited version that drops the f-bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I was a fighter or wrestler, I would want "Hate Me Now" by Nas and P. Diddy. If I was a baseball player, I would want to switch it up a lot. At times I would go for laughs and I would want fans to think WTF.
    Songs I would/could choose:
    "Islands In The Streams" by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rodgers
    "Do What You Like" by The Digital Underground
    "Party In The USA" by Miley Cirus (To get young fans)
    "Talk It Out" by dc Talk
    "Nothing Compares 2 You" by Sinead O'Connor
    "My Mind Is Playing Tricks On Me" by The Geto Boyz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vince,

    "Nothing Compares 2 U" is absolute genius. That would be one of the best entrance songs ever.

    ReplyDelete